The origin of the Poland China has its beginning in the Miami Valley, Butler and Warren counties, Ohio.
In the year 1816, the Shaker Society, through their trustee, John Wallace, secured one boar and three sows from a firm in Philadelphia. These were known as Big China hogs. The boar and two sows were white, while the third sow had sandy to black spots. Historians believe they were the same hogs that were so popular about this time in the states of Maryland, Pennsylvania, and Virginia.
Hogs were bred for two important requirements, size and good travelers. They were driven to market and in some cases were compelled to travel nearly one hundred miles.
Between 1816 and 1835 the swine industry of southwestern Ohio had a great impetus, due to the beneficial effects of the Big China.
Some historians have fixed 1846 as the year of the discontinuance of all outside blood in crossing on the Warren county hog.
The Poland China hog today is recognized as a big framed, long bodied, lean, muscular individual that leads the U.S. pork production in pounds of hog per sow per year.